“Sod the wine, I want to suck on the writing. This man White is an instinctive writer, bloody rare to find one who actually pulls it off, as in still gets a meaning across with concision. Sharp arbitrage of speed and risk, closest thing I can think of to Cicero’s ‘motus continuum animi.’

Probably takes a drink or two to connect like that: he literally paints his senses on the page.”


DBC Pierre (Vernon God Little, Ludmila’s Broken English, Lights Out In Wonderland ... Winner: Booker prize; Whitbread prize; Bollinger Wodehouse Everyman prize; James Joyce Award from the Literary & Historical Society of University College Dublin)


.

.

.

.

04 May 2018

A LOVELY INTERVIEW WITH DREW NOON

Rae and Drew Noon with their 2017 Grenache rosé ... my photos ... a reclusive but locally-involved couple with a deep social conscience, the Noons are people I respect with a depth bordering on spiritual. And I adore their honest, pristine wine.

Perhaps because of that reverence, I have never intruded much to write about them, while I rarely see them well profiled. I think my friend Milton Wordley has captured them as only a questioning photographer could in this lovely warm interview with Drew. 

I envy Milton's documentary ability to question without the politics which invariably infect my interviews. Jealous.

An indulgence: a favourite photograph of dear Milton ... it's trepidatious, photographing a great photographer. This was the night we got our medals from the New York IPA Book Fair. I grabbed a snap with a finger over the flash; the little Sony gave me this:
.
 

No comments: