“Sod the wine, I want to suck on the writing. This man White is an instinctive writer, bloody rare to find one who actually pulls it off, as in still gets a meaning across with concision. Sharp arbitrage of speed and risk, closest thing I can think of to Cicero’s ‘motus continuum animi.’

Probably takes a drink or two to connect like that: he literally paints his senses on the page.”


DBC Pierre (Vernon God Little, Ludmila’s Broken English, Lights Out In Wonderland ... Winner: Booker prize; Whitbread prize; Bollinger Wodehouse Everyman prize; James Joyce Award from the Literary & Historical Society of University College Dublin)


.

.

.

.

01 April 2018

TASTING ON A ROOT DAY

Yesterday I went with some friends to taste the Yangarra wines, which are made biodynamically by my landlord, Peter Fraser. They all seemed strangely narrow and tannic. Suspicious, and somewhat rattled,  I consulted the Biodynamic Calendar, which showed it was a "root day". Reality or bullshit? 

I quite deliberately avoid keeping a copy of the calendar close handy, but over the years I occasionally find myself doubting my organoleptic capacities - a scary feeling - so I consult the calendar. They're almost invariably root days. Russell Jackson caught this image of the moment of enlightenment and relief - yours truly with Cynthia Ganesharajah.

No comments: