“Sod the wine, I want to suck on the writing. This man White is an instinctive writer, bloody rare to find one who actually pulls it off, as in still gets a meaning across with concision. Sharp arbitrage of speed and risk, closest thing I can think of to Cicero’s ‘motus continuum animi.’

Probably takes a drink or two to connect like that: he literally paints his senses on the page.”


DBC Pierre (Vernon God Little, Ludmila’s Broken English, Lights Out In Wonderland ... Winner: Booker prize; Whitbread prize; Bollinger Wodehouse Everyman prize; James Joyce Award from the Literary & Historical Society of University College Dublin)


.

.

.

.

14 April 2013

A THOUGHT ABOUT FORM


.

On form
for Black Caviar



I have never seen you
not watched you shred the rest
I live out here
listening to stories of you on the wireless

I talk to Elsie
busted in the hips
too many kids and a car prang

I give her carrots and hay
while the vet bills stack up
she licks Roussanne from my fingers
soft wet secrets from that enormous head

would you send her a signed photograph?



Philip White
with thanks to Max Allen 



No comments: