“Sod the wine, I want to suck on the writing. This man White is an instinctive writer, bloody rare to find one who actually pulls it off, as in still gets a meaning across with concision. Sharp arbitrage of speed and risk, closest thing I can think of to Cicero’s ‘motus continuum animi.’

Probably takes a drink or two to connect like that: he literally paints his senses on the page.”


DBC Pierre (Vernon God Little, Ludmila’s Broken English, Lights Out In Wonderland ... Winner: Booker prize; Whitbread prize; Bollinger Wodehouse Everyman prize; James Joyce Award from the Literary & Historical Society of University College Dublin)


.

.

.

.

03 February 2013

COMIN IN ON A WING AND A PRAYER

Luke Buckmaster, editor of the Crikey website and Cinetology columnist/blogger there, has written a fine piece about Denzel Washington's new movie, Flight.  Buckmaster  discusses the nature of alcoholism in a way I've never seen anyone in the wine/booze writing racket discuss it. Ever.  Should we?  Click on Denzel for the link and a look at the trailer, then let me know what you think.

2 comments:

Milt said...

I like ... Interesting take on it. I've known a few of those in my time!

Red said...

Functional alcoholism is pretty standard in the wine industry from what I've seen, though as you suggest it is rarely discussed or acknowledged. The movie sounds very worth watching.