“Sod the wine, I want to suck on the writing. This man White is an instinctive writer, bloody rare to find one who actually pulls it off, as in still gets a meaning across with concision. Sharp arbitrage of speed and risk, closest thing I can think of to Cicero’s ‘motus continuum animi.’

Probably takes a drink or two to connect like that: he literally paints his senses on the page.”


DBC Pierre (Vernon God Little, Ludmila’s Broken English, Lights Out In Wonderland ... Winner: Booker prize; Whitbread prize; Bollinger Wodehouse Everyman prize; James Joyce Award from the Literary & Historical Society of University College Dublin)


.

.

.

.

12 February 2017

MORE OLD BLOKE PIN-UPS

Tyrell Talbot and John Howell by me ... my good mate Milton Wordley, who as a gun photographer is barely wordly at all, takes great photographs of old blokes on his remarkable wine blog, People of Wine: Ten Questions.  

Some of 'em aren't all that old, of course, and like me, Milton has to work hard to find women winemakers who are generally trying to bash their way through the men. They do this best by making amazing wine. Kerri ain't no old bloke, but she's wiser than most.


Kerri Thompson ... photo©Milton Wordley. Amazing wine. The Riesling rocker. 

I'm a bit jealous of Milton. Very, actually. My life in wine has always been actively political, whilst for all the decades that I've known him and worked with him, Milton's has been the view of a very cool, withdrawing, almost distant, but acute observer. So he can just ask these people questions about themselves without interrupting them for discussion, as I invariably do. Here's his interview with - no relation - Viv Thomson:


... and just because it's the highlight of my interviewing career, and he was seriously the Boss as much as a dearly trusted friend and confident, my/the final interview with Dr Ray Beckwith ... photo©Milton Wordley

all photos©Milton Wordley ... read a lot more of dear Ray here

... and here's my snap of Karyn Foster and Milton: the last ones at the bar of the Juker Brunswick after Howard Twelftree's wake:


and just skiting: here's my favourite portrait of Milton, which I made across the table the night we got our medals from the New York IPA Book Fair

 this one by Gail Gago

 

1 comment:

Milton said...

As I do most mornings, had a look at Drinkster this morning and surprise surprise I get mention, thanks for the kind words, although Anne Marie would like to disagree with the comment about not interrupting, she transcribes the interviews and reckons I interrupt all the time.