“Sod the wine, I want to suck on the writing. This man White is an instinctive writer, bloody rare to find one who actually pulls it off, as in still gets a meaning across with concision. Sharp arbitrage of speed and risk, closest thing I can think of to Cicero’s ‘motus continuum animi.’

Probably takes a drink or two to connect like that: he literally paints his senses on the page.”


DBC Pierre (Vernon God Little, Ludmila’s Broken English, Lights Out In Wonderland ... Winner: Booker prize; Whitbread prize; Bollinger Wodehouse Everyman prize; James Joyce Award from the Literary & Historical Society of University College Dublin)


.

.

.

.

10 April 2015

BOB McLEAN: THE LAST LONG LUNCH

Just in from Milton Wordley, who's in Spain: Big Bob's last long lunch? "Last week while I was at McLean's Farm to interview Bob for my new blog People of Wine - Ten Questions, two or three others dropped in. Bob phoned Wilma and within ten minutes she arrived with lunch. That's Bob, who was too ill to stand, with Chateau Tanunda general manager Matthew McCulloch, the Riesling master Colin Forbes and Wilma. Matthew bought along some of the 2013 Chateau Tanunda 1858 Field Blend. Bob seemed to enjoy it. Keep an eye on my blog - when my feet hit the ground I'll download the entire interview. Bob dropped a few bombshells. Here's another shot: Big Bob in his St Hallett days."



1 comment:

Very Grateful said...

Wilma's getting down to business! Great photograph Milton. As always. There's a lot of strength in that room which I was lucky to sit in and have that unforgettable hospitality.